Monday, May 20, 2013

Current Skincare Favourites


Hi everyone, sorry the blog has been slightly neglected this week, it's exam month as I'm sure a lot of you know, and I've never known stress like it! I sat my hardest exam today though (Psychobiology, Sensation and Perception ooh) and my last one is on Thursday so hopefully I'll be back to posting regularly soon!
 
Now, skincare...
Until fairly recently, skincare was nowhere near top of my list of priorities. I was very much a 'remove my makeup with a wipe and slap on some cheap moisturiser in the morning' kind of girl. Oh the shame. Then I discovered all the amazing skincare products that are raved about on beauty blogs every day and my eyes were well and truly opened. Now I'm working towards developing a staple skincare routine and these three products are definitely contenders.
 
 
Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish is a plant-based cleanser containing naturally active ingredients like eucalyptus and cocoa butter which work to clean, smooth and add a radiant glow to the skin. I've never tried a cleanser like this - it is a rich cream which you apply to dry skin and then buff off with a muslin cloth which gently exfoliates away dead skin cells. I must admit, I'm a bit lazy when it comes to washing the muslin cloths so I often just wash the cleanser off with warm water which works fine too. A lot of people are fond of the smell of this cleanser, I personally think it smells a bit like vapour rub, but the scent is not overpowering at all so it doesn't bother me. I also really like the packaging of this, I'm not sure why! The pale turquoise bottle is sturdy and smooth, and the pump dispenser makes the product so much easier and more hygienic to use. Cleanse and Polish is priced at £13.25, or £14.75 for the starter kit which contains the same 100ml bottle of cleanser as well as two muslin cloths (which is the option that I went for). I think this price is extremely reasonable considering the cult status of the product! Overall I really love this cleanser, and I can definitely see myself repurchasing it.

 
Moisturiser has always been a key product for me as my skin can get a little dry sometimes, particularly on the tops of my cheeks. I always apply moisturiser in the morning and have been trying to apply it every night now too. Dehydrated skin is the most common skin type, and even oily skin needs to be regularly moisturised, so I'm always on the lookout for a new staple moisturiser. Vichy Aqaulia Thermal is a very rich creamy moisturiser with a gorgeous scent (it reminds me of holidays, I think it smells like sun cream or aftersun but I can't put my finger on it). This moisturiser comes in two formulations - light and rich, I bought the rich pot as at the time my skin was very dry and I wanted something really hydrating, but if you have combination/oily skin, the light pot may be a better option for you. The rich pot is non-greasy and non-sticky and really helps to relieve any feelings of tightness in my skin (I sometimes get this feeling on my forehead). The 50ml pot retails for around £16.00 at Boots or slightly less on Escentual. I'm not sure I will repurchase this as I think I am still yet to find the one in terms of daily moisturisers.

 
Finally, a product that was on my wishlist a while back: Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask. I always associate skin masks with a feeling of luxury and relaxation, and this apricot-scented mask definitely provides that. The mask is massaged into the skin before you go to bed and it deeply hydrates and moisturises the skin while you sleep. What's not to love? This is great to use on its own or as a follow-up to a clay-based mask for impurities which can leave skin feeling dry and tight. At £20.00 for 100ml, this mask isn't cheap but it is long-lasting and has definitely earned its cult status, and its long-term status in my skincare collection.
 
I do still try to keep my skincare routine fairly simple as my skin is quite sensitive and often reacts badly to new products, but these three products have done nothing but good things for my skin so I definitely recommend them!
 
I hope you enjoyed reading about my current favourites, I can't wait to get paid and add more products to my collection: next on the list are the Emma Hardie Amazing Face Cleansing Balm (at a hefty £34 it had better be damn good!) and Hydraluron from Indeed Labs - I blame Caroline Hirons, the incredible skincare guru who writes Beauty Mouth for these latest product lusts as that woman really knows what she's talking about, doesn't mince her words and therefore I totally trust her recommendations - and she replied to my tweet last week! (chuffed)
 
What skincare products could you not live without?
 
Holly xo
 
Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments :

  1. I've read many positive reviews about this Origins mask, I desperately need it !! :) x x

    ♥ ♥ '' Think Pink | Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blog " ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never tried vichy products but after reading this i'm really tempted to buy some!

    http://therawrdrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got the Origins mask as well and love love love it. My skin is much less dry not that I've been using it. I'm dying to try the Liz Earle cleanser. I might just give in and order it today :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only tried the Cleanse and Polish but looove it.
    The Origins Overnight Mask looks lovely, i've never tried anything from Origins.
    I hope your exams are going well :)

    Hannah x

    http://b-l-a-b.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the whole dry skin thing and moisturising every morning.. I'm currently trying out the No. 7 Essential Moisture Day Cream which I'm liking! xo

    Holly | http://touchofcrimson.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoying reading your blog!! I am following you now :)

    Id be really grateful if you have a minute to visit me!

    www.kosmetyczna-hedonistka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. as always love ur blog ! I am using the Origins Mask at the mo and its really good. Dying to try Liz Earl esp after reading this

    xoxox
    Judith
    http://greatlittlefinds.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing post! And your blog is amazing, tbh. Follow me and I follow back. Let me know when your done over on my blog!xo
    My blog: Teeniolect

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! The Liz Earle & origins drink up has been on my wish list for soooo long...that's it you've made my mind up I'm buying them both today!

    Kayleighsbeautyfix.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, I read and appreciate every single one of them xo